Interested in Volunteering?
The Academy Theatre’s goal is to create powerful performing arts theatre experiences that enrich, educate, and engage audiences. Our passionate volunteers donate their time and energy to create memorable experiences for every guest. Come be a part of the Academy and give back to our community, make new friends, and have the opportunity to attend outstanding professional theatre.
- You must be 18 years or older.
- Individuals ages 10-15 are welcome to volunteer with a parent or guardian.
- You must possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
- We do our best to accommodate all physical abilities, however, please understand that standing for long periods of time and bending may be required.
Attend a New Volunteer Orientation
Orientations are conducted two times a year, one session in the Fall and one in the Spring. All new volunteers must attend an orientation session to become informed on Academy Theatre policies/procedures and the behind-the-scenes operations of the theatre.
At these sessions, you will:
- Hear about different volunteer opportunities.
- Meet the Academy Theatre front of house staff members.
- Tour the Theatre.
- Meet and chat with other Academy volunteers.
Ushers – Academy Theatre is looking for dedicated, friendly individuals to assist patrons with seating, programs, and general customer service. The usher is the first representative of the Academy that most patrons will meet when attending a performance. Our ushers tend to the comfort and safety of audience members, directing them to their seats and facility accommodations, as well as to the exits in case of emergency.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Greeting patrons (indoors and outdoors)
- Scanning tickets
- Stuffing and/or distributing playbills
- Assisting patrons in locating their seats
- Providing general information regarding the facility (i.e. bar, bathrooms, water fountains)
- Alerting the House Manager of any patron or facility irregularities during performances (i.e. sick patrons, use of recording devices or cameras, A/C issues)
Ushering requires you to be on your feet and some light lifting may be required. Usher hours vary. In general, days and times are roughly Thursday-Saturday 6:30-10:30 PM and Sunday 1:00-5:30 PM and 6:00-9:00 PM. You can volunteer several times on one production run or choose different shows. Ushers are given a brief orientation every time they volunteer.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
The Academy Theatre is currently seeking experienced, enthusiastic, and engaging members to supplement our Board of Directors. We are particularly looking for those board members with experience in fundraising, the Arts, Non-Profit Organizations, Finance and/or Legal areas.
Help research possibilities for new funding, read publications, assist with maintaining files on prospects, help with mailings, make donor renewal phone calls.
These volunteers will assist with putting up or taking down posters and other publicity materials around Hapeville – Atlanta.
Strike (take apart) set, set construction and painting, costume maintenance, clean and spruce up theatre or work backstage during the run of a show helping with props, costumes, etc.